Sunday, August 15, 2010

The Well Is Empty

I feel I have nothing to say. If someone asks me a question about politics, I can answer it,  but I can't write about it anymore.  It's just as well since there are a million things that need doing in my domestic life.  The yard's too big and too much for me to handle alone.  I wish the boys would step up to the plate and help out a bit but it isn't going to happen.  They're into sports in a big way and into their girlfriends, which is as it should be.  I'm so glad to be rid of the black cloud that was the couple before the boys, so I do the minimum necessary to keep the trees alive and don't water the lawn much because I'd just have to mow more often if I kept it greened up.  All my neighbors have taken out the grass on their parking strips and have zeroscaped.  It's the smart thing to do, and I plan on doing it every year, but just don't get around to it.  Maybe next Spring.  But now it's time to get the yard and garden ready for Fall and then Winter.  It will be a lot of work for the next three months. I have so many trees and none of them are on the same leaf drop schedule.  It all begins with the biggest tree in my urban forest and for two months I'll be cleaning up leaves.

I worked pretty steadily on enlarging my walkway and patio space back here, around the gazebo, until it got too hot and then I moved inside and stopped doing anything as I got my Facebook addiction up to the level of my Twitter addiction.  Cyrus died, Roscoe moved to Savannah, and then Bob showed up.  I'm happy to have a cat again.  I didn't realize how much I've missed having a cat.  Now I want to get or make a big scratching pole for Bob. I'm also happy not to have to pick up fifty pounds of dog shit a week. I'm glad I no longer have the big Vet bills that taking care of Cyrus generated.  He had so many health problems.  And yet, there isn't a day that I don't look at Cyrus' bed area expecting him to be there and most days it feels as if he's still with us.  He and Roscoe ate mass quantities of dog food.  Marley and Bob are very dainty eaters in comparison.  Well, Marley isn't exactly a dainty eater, but you know what I mean. 

5 comments:

Joe "Truth 101" Kelly said...

I hear on the well being empty U.S.

It's empty for lots of us. I've noticed several times lately big time Huff Post writers using subject matter either I, or someone else in this community has touched on days or weeks ago.

There's millions of us as you say so it probebly is coincidence. Besides, how many other ways can there be to say Bush was lousy president and republicans only care about there big business masters?


I went to sports themes only at MadMikes. I'll probably slow way down with Truth 101. I was thinking about putting a web cam on my dog or goldfish. Probably get a million hits a day from the lazy and apathetic fools.

Utah Savage said...

Jesus that is depressing. My dog huh? I actually have a strange inter-species romance going on at my place. The dog and the kitten have a thing going on. Weirdest thing I've ever seen, but I've probably led a sheltered life.

jmsjoin said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
jmsjoin said...

Gee can't you ask the guys to pitch in? Maybe for partial rent or something? Glad you have a Cat now they are so much easier than a dog!

Fran said...

Most renters don't expect to do any outside maintenance, unless it is agreed upon in the rent contract. Next time you might bump the rent rte up a bit to cover paying for groundskeeping assist?

I know there is a whole lot of burn out going on re fixing this country. You get your hope & change all worked up & then see lots of mo' the same. It's exhausting- especially if you've done it for so many years.

I hate to be a jaded cynic, but how many times do politicians & their pre election promises wind up not panning out, but through it all, taxes are collected, wars get funded, and the rich stay rich.

You are never gonna hear a politician get up & promise THAT @ the podium, but in the end, year after year, it is the reality.

Someone posted on my blog today, that it would be worse if the GOP were at the helm-- of course I know that is true, but I don't want to settle for *it could be worse*.
Yea-- well, it could be better!

Many folks are still swingin' on a bootstrap, struggling more than not.

Take a break- sometimes raking up leaves makes more sense & yields more sanity than dealing with political blowhards telling us we should be drug tested if we expect more, or state what has not changed since the last administration.

Interesting shift with the critter dynamic @ your place. Life is change!