Friday, December 12, 2008

Process

In response to a question about creativity


When I read, all I do is read, as if it were a full time job. When I painted all I did was paint. It's the same with writing. I am not able to combine obsessions. Creativity takes me like a possession. It seems effortless at its best. Only the editing is work.

When I painted it took a lot of time to learn when to stop. I had to back off to mere suggestion of line. I deconstructed my painting to pen and ink and very few lines. I did my best portraits during this period. One was of my third husband and he looked like James Joyce. I captured him in maybe five or six lines. The suggestion of the man.

I've done many self portraits. Unable to afford models I painted what I saw. I did still life, interiors, architecture, but portraiture was my favorite. My best were sold. One was a gift to the third husband who burned the house down after I left him. And with the house, went those two portraits.

5 comments:

L'Adelaide said...

I seem to be the same way....not knowing when to stop to eat, sleep, even pee sometimes....it's ridiculous how obsessed I become....

a shame your best was lost....do you paint at all now? I would love to see some of your drawings, if you want to share and have them...it sounds like you were very generous with your best work.....did you keep anything?

inquiring, fevered minds want to know....

take care of you...

Linda-Sama said...

hey, sis....well then look in your mail in the next week or 10 days or so for something to hang on your wall...in any event, before Xmas!

wishing you a peaceful heart and heartful peace....

Randal Graves said...

linda beat me to the questions, so what she said.

When I write, fiction, poetry, doesn't matter, I'm all over the place. Sometimes I'll read for inspiration and then that will turn into a reading marathon, or I'll listen to some tunes, or both at the same time. I can't focus on "doing" one thing, but all the doing is focused on an emotion.

Utah Savage said...

I sold or gave away everything. Have I mentioned that I'm crazy? I took slide of some paintings I sold, but they were burned in the house fire.

susan said...

I go through obsessive phases too but it's mostly because one thing leads to another and I want to see things I've imagined or dreamed take shape before I lose them. In a way I'm glad I've had to work at real jobs most of my life because without the practical aspects of dealing with real people and duties I might have become stranger than I am.

12 framed and gallery ready paintings got left with a friend in RI. Within a year her anger at my leaving made her refuse to have any further contact with me and I've wondered if she destroyed the pictures. Nevertheless, I think it's the process that's important and not the result.